Have you ever experienced cervical pain, dizziness, nausea or shortness of breath? All of these are signs of cervical osteochondrosis.
Osteochondrosis, a common problem, worries more and more people every year. Can cervical osteochondrosis be cured? Let us first look at the factors of occurrence and the signs of occurrence.
Stages of osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae is a disease whose effects weaken the discs between the vertebrae, leading to changes in the structure of the discs, vertebrae, and cervical joints.
In the first stage, the symptoms are almost invisible, as the changes in the cartilage vertebrae have only just begun. The following symptoms may occur:
- Uncomfortable feelings in the neck, arms, shoulders.
- Slight restriction of neck motor activity.
- Short-term visual impairment.
- Reduces the sensitive collar zone.
In the second stage, a small spinal hernia may occur and the intervertebral fissures may narrow. Due to the compression of the nerve trunks, pain syndrome can be felt during the execution of the movements.
Manifestations of the disease:
- His neck hurts and he turns when he bends.
- Loss of skin sensation in arms and shoulders.
- Vision decreases.
- I hear a ring in my ear.
- Face and neck numb;
- Upper limbs weaken.
- Shooting pain radiating to the shoulder blade.
- Insomnia, sleep problems.
The third stage is difficult to manage. Hernia develops, the spine is deformed, there are changes in position, movement of the vertebrae:
- Severe pain in the neck, heart muscle, collar area.
- The skin of the head, shoulders and arms is no longer felt.
- Upper limbs are paralyzed.
- Tendon reflexes are no longer visible.
- The hernia of the cervical vertebrae begins.
The fourth and final stage in which symptoms worsen.
Factors influencing the development and progression of cervical osteochondrosis:
- Heavy weight.
- Sedentary work, immobility.
- Previous spinal injuries.
- Mental disorders, nervous strain, stress.
- Poor physical fitness.
- Curvature of the spine, scoliosis, incorrect posture.
- Incorrect postures that have become a habit.
- Tightening the neck and back with work.
- Hereditary predisposition.
- Unusual physical stress, increased activity for the body.
- Violation of the rules of healthy eating.
On the cervical spine, the effects of the factors mentioned above increase the stress that the neck muscles try to balance. Muscle cramps start, the blood circulation in the body is disturbed. Anatomical lesions appear.
Symptoms of the disease
Symptoms of cervical spine osteochondrosis are different from those seen in other parts of the spine. The tight location of the cervical vertebrae leads to compression of the nerve roots and spinal cord.
I'm experiencing the following symptoms:
- Localization of pain: in the neck, back of the head, shoulders, arms and legs. During the connection of the nerve roots to the process, discomfort is felt in the shoulders, in the back of the head, and the restructuring of the upper limb begins. A spasm of the neck muscles in the back of the head leads to impaired blood flow.
- Weakness of the arms caused by dysfunction of the root, which also includes motor nerves that rebuild the muscles of the arm.
- Hands are restructured, hand sensitivity decreased, root damage, including sensory nerves.
- During head movements, pain is felt and a crisp sound is heard. It is caused by the defeat of the small joints in the neck, the decrease in the level of the intervertebral disc.
- Lack of strength, fatigue, dizziness, lack of coordination. Due to the movement of the vertebrae, the artery of the spine is compressed. It leads to deterioration of blood flow, weakens the blood supply to the occipital lobe, the cerebellum.
- A complication of vision, the tongue loses its sensitivity.
In women, the symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis are similar to those in men. At the age of 46-60, the prettier does not become a stone, tingling hands while sleeping.
Why is osteochondrosis dangerous?
The disease damages the whole body. The cervical region contains a significant number of arteries, nerve endings, blood vessels that feed the brain.
Squeezed tightly, they are compressed due to the slightest pathology, which leads to deterioration of blood circulation in the brain, leads to migraines, disturbs the heart rhythm, increases respiration, vision, coordination and attention.
Pathologies causing osteochondrosis of the cervical spine:
- Brain disease;
- Vertebral artery syndrome;
- Spinal stroke.
Death is the worst consequence that occurs when the spinal cord is compressed.
When all the symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis have been considered and the factors for their development have been identified, the treatment used in this case is taken into account.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis in women is no different from treatment in men. Management stages:
- Pain relief.
- Remove the edema.
- Normalization of blood circulation.
- Strengthening the muscles of the back, abdomen, chest.
- Improved nutrition and tissue repair.
Get medical attention at any stage or symptom. Specialists choosing complex treatment: surgeon, neurologist, physiotherapist, massage therapist. Medication therapy, physiotherapy, massage of the collar area are used, therapeutic practices are recommended because it is effective in osteochondrosis.
Medications used for treatment:
- Medications to relieve muscle cramps.
- Vitamins that improve metabolism in the nervous system.
- NSAID medications that reduce pain, relieve inflammation and swelling.
- Joint preparation, cartilage tissue repair, lesions in intervertebral discs.
- Drugs that improve the nutrition of damaged nerve cells regulate blood flow to the brain.
First aid in case of aggravation
There are times when the pain becomes unbearable and the visit to the doctor should be postponed. We recommend that you drink painkillers. You can use a “pepper patch” to relieve the pain, but it’s worth noting that you can’t hope for a long-term effect. The plaster warms the inflamed area and temporarily relieves pain. It is recommended to use herbal infusions for 3-4 days to relieve swelling. Can cervical osteochondrosis be cured by these methods? No, the above methods are short term, a doctor should be consulted for complete recovery.
- Electrophoresis- the ions of the anesthetic drug penetrate the sore area under the influence of electric current. It often happens with painkillers.
- Laser Therapy- has anti-inflammatory properties, improves blood circulation through light emission.
- Magnetic therapy- relieves tissue swelling and has an analgesic effect.
- Ultrasound- improves metabolic processes, pain relief, relieves inflammation of damaged areas.
You need to know a few simple exercises about physiotherapy. Regular exercise brings the expected results very quickly.
Attention!You should not feel any pain or discomfort during the execution of the complex.
- Lie on your stomach, rest your hands. Keep your back straight while lifting your head and body. Hold the position for about 2 minutes, then remove the starting position. Continue the exercise 2-3 times.
- Take a supine position on the floor, stretching your arms along your body, trying to touch your ear to the floor, turning your head to the left. Perform 6-7 repetitions.
- While sitting on the floor, inhale, lean forward, trying to touch your chest with your head. After exhaling, tilt back, throw your head back. Perform 10-15 repetitions.
- Press down on your forehead to lower your palm while sitting on the floor. Perform 2-3 repetitions for about 30 seconds.
- Rotation of a circular head. Perform smoothly, slowly, so that your head begins to rotate. If dizziness occurs, stop exercising. Make 10 rotations in each direction.
This method of treatment should only be used in conjunction with a complex prescribed by your doctor. In such cases, the following are used: traditional medicine, physiotherapy, massage.
Recipes for relieving malaise at home:
- A horseradish base attached to the neck and tied with a bandage or cloth helps. It is recommended to pour over boiling water and then cool to room temperature. It is better to leave the bandage overnight.
- Cut potatoes, mix with honey (one by one). Use once a week as a compress.
- Warming up helps relieve pain. You can use mustard plaster, sandbag, pepper plaster, etc.
We advise you not to seek help from the forums, you should rely on the diagnosis of the doctors.
Therapeutic massage can also be performed at home, it contains elements of classical massage. It starts with a healthy part of the body, moving smoothly to a sore spot. The complex is selected based on the individual characteristics of the patient, the stage of the disease. To perform the massage, the patient should be placed on a horizontal position on the floor, lowering his forehead to his hands, and pulling his chin toward his chest. Relax your neck muscles.
Treating massage techniques:
- Start the massage with movements starting from the collar zone.
- Push-ups, for execution the masseur puts his hands around his neck and moves along the spine. Alternatively, this technique can be performed towards the shoulder.
- Rubbing is done to warm up the neck muscles while the body relaxes, bleeding improves. Moving from the skull, the movements are directed, the movements are directed towards the spine.
- Knit the neck in a circular motion.
- Finish by shaking, beating and shaking.
The following rules must be followed to prevent the disease:
- Exercise (swimming is most effective).
- Increase your intake of foods that contain calcium and magnesium.
- Warm up several times a day, especially if you have a sedentary job.
- Choose the right pillow (keep it low) and mattress (keep it soft). While sleeping, pay attention to the position of the neck: the angle of the neck should be at least 15 degrees.
- Take a hot shower for at least 10 minutes a day.
- For those who don’t like sports, experts advise you to practice yoga regularly.
- It's better to give up the gym. Bodybuilding can worsen your health.
Osteochondrosis and pregnancy
How to treat osteochondrosis while carrying a child? Of course, you have to limit yourself to using drugs. Ointments with natural composition and folk methods help.Remember!During pregnancy, all possible effects on the neck area (such as warming up) are prohibited.
Does osteochondrosis occur in young people? No matter how adults convince themselves that it is too early for adolescents to acquire such diseases, they are observed more often. It can be caused by a congenital or acquired porch defect.
Do not warm the neck during the exacerbation of the disease, as this may lead to increased swelling.
This article examined not only the basic concepts but also effective methods of treating cervical osteochondrosis. They help you cope with painful feelings, feel good and confident wherever you are.