When back pain occurs, the thought of radiculitis arises immediately. In fact, even pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract can become uncomfortable in the lower back. Therefore, physicians should carefully examine the patient before formulating a therapeutic regimen. When the back hurts in the lumbar region, how to treat the pathology can only be decided by a neurologist. Doctors from narrow fields are often involved in the therapy - gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, oncologist, gynecologist, urologist. Depending on the diseases diagnosed, further treatment is given at home or in a hospital.
Lumbar spine pain can be nagging, nagging, violent, and violent. If the patient does not have organ pathology from other vital systems during the study, the following measures are included in the treatment regimen:
- Taking pharmacological drugs to relieve inflammatory processes, relieve pain, and repair damaged bone and joint tissue
- performing physiotherapy procedures to accelerate the regeneration of vertebrae and skeletal muscles;
- physiotherapy or gymnastics.
Patients are prescribed medications for intramuscular injection for movement that restricts sharp and severe pain. As a general rule, in this case, hospital treatment is performed in a hospital. After the patient's condition improves, it is left for further recovery.
The right approach to treatment
The main cause of lower back pain is destructive-degenerative damage to the vertebrae or intervertebral hernia. No matter how successful the treatment is, doctors recommend that patients eliminate the pathogen from their normal lifestyle. Otherwise, the disease will return after a while or become a chronic form that is dangerous due to its relapse.
Start treating acute or prolonged back pain in bed. When the inflammatory process becomes the cause of pathology, even insignificant physical activity contributes to its spread. Neuropathologists advise you to buy an orthopedic pillow and mattress. They reduce the strain on the sore back, preventing them from squeezing and squeezing muscles and nerve roots. If it is not possible to buy special equipment, you should choose a medium-hard mattress and pillow to sleep.
To speed up your recovery, you should follow these medical guidelines during treatment:
- Avoid physical activity and active sports. In the rehabilitation phase, you can do yoga, swim, or just take long walks in the fresh air;
- Eliminate fatty and fried foods from your diet. They negatively affect the condition of blood vessels in the lumbar spine and contribute to the deposition of harmful cholesterol. Lack of nutrients and biologically active substances is one of the causes of bone tissue destruction;
- Do not drink or smoke. If it is impossible to overcome the harmful addiction completely, it should be forgotten for at least the duration of the treatment. Toxic resins, nicotine, ethanol have detrimental effects on veins, arteries and capillaries, slowing down the recovery of bone, joint and cartilage in men and women.
Intake of balanced vitamin and micronutrient complexes promotes recovery. Some of them contain increased amounts of calcium, but such medications can only be taken as directed by your doctor. Therefore, it is advisable to buy simple medicines.
Despite the effectiveness of folk remedies and physiotherapy procedures, only pharmaceuticals can quickly eliminate severe back pain. If the discomfort is poorly expressed, a course of capsules, pills, and tablets will help. With intense pain, neuropathologists prescribe intravenous and intramuscular injections to relieve the patient’s condition. Many of the drugs used to treat the lower back have serious side effects and many contraindications. Strict adherence to medical recommendations regarding the doses used and the duration of the course will help to avoid negative consequences.
Solution for injection
Injections of B-vitamins that show neurotropic activity are almost always used to treat lumbar pain:
- normalizes skeletal muscle innervation;
- restores nerve impulse transmission;
- promotes the regeneration of affected nerve fibers;
- speeds up the metabolism of substances;
- increases the functional activity of the central and peripheral nervous systems.
The preparations also contain analgesics, therefore vitamin B preparations have moderate analgesic properties.
Injectable medications are prescribed for acute pain, often referred to as "lumbago. "And when the pathology becomes chronic, their use does not bring the expected results. Vitamins are used as a single drug and in combination with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. NSAIDs are becoming the first choice in the treatment of low back pain. Solutions within a few minutes of intramuscular administration stop the inflammation, reduce the severity of the discomfort, and eliminate the swelling of the soft tissue.
Some drugs are structurally analogous, but may differ in the intensity of the therapeutic effect and the number of side effects. When choosing non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, your doctor will consider a number of factors. For example, certain medications have a pronounced analgesic effect but severely damage joints and cartilage. And there are medications that, unlike others, do not interfere with the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
Despite the effectiveness of NSAIDs, they are carefully prescribed by neuropathologists to treat back pain, especially in injectable form. The fact that even a single intramuscular injection of the solution can cause ulceration of the gastrointestinal mucosa. The use of NSAIDs in injections or tablets for gastritis and ulcerative lesions of the stomach and duodenum is strictly prohibited. Treatment of low back pain in men and women with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be combined with any proton pump inhibitor.
Tablets, capsules, dragees
After an injection of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and B vitamins, the patient takes tablets or capsules to consolidate the outcome of therapy. If your lower back is painful and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are contraindicated, your doctor will prescribe tablets with this active ingredient.
Combination drugs are often used to treat spinal pathologies.
Back pain in the back causes muscle cramps.
Tighten the nerve roots, provoking the development of secondary radical syndrome. Muscle relaxants help normalize the innervation of nerve impulses and stop cramps. In case of acute pain, a short injection is given and then the patient continues treatment with the tablets.
Chondroprotectors are recommended during the rehabilitation period. The tablets usually contain stimulants to regenerate cartilage tissue, shark cartilage extracts and herbs to help restore the bone structure of the spine. Before treating lower back pain with chondroprotectors, your doctor will assess the extent of damage to your joint and cartilage tissues. When diagnosed with severe destructive changes, therapy with these drugs can last for more than a year.
Ointments, gels, creams, balms
In addition to drugs for parenteral and oral administration, neuropathologists prescribe drugs for external use. It is applied several times a day in the lumbar region until the painful feelings disappear completely. Some ointments contain bee and snake venom, pepper extract and essential oils.
All of these organic substances have a warming effect. Patients with sensitive skin may experience burns and symptoms of allergic reactions. Before treating low back pain caused by inflammatory processes, consult your doctor about the safety of using such external agents. Neuropathologists usually prescribe the following ointments and gels:
- is homeopathic. They contain plant extracts and chemical compounds that improve metabolism and have analgesic effects. Many doctors are skeptical about homeopathy, but patients can be cured who do not consider it a pseudoscience. One of the serious disadvantages of such ointments is the long duration of treatment;
- NSAIDs. Ointment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is well absorbed into the skin and penetrates the affected area quickly. After a single application, the severity of the pain syndrome decreases and the mobility of the vertebrae is restored.
Effective stimulation of normalization of tissue metabolism and alleviation of dystrophic changes occurs after a course of external agents with chondroprotectors.
It doesn’t matter if a vertebra is ill or the inflammation has affected the entire lumbar region - chondroprotective ointments help restore joint and cartilage tissue damaged by the pathological process.
Most of these treatments are not prescribed to patients who have pain caused by acute inflammation. The procedures are started after alleviation with pharmacological drugs. Physiotherapy is used to normalize tissue metabolism, regenerate tissues, and prevent further degenerative changes in the lumbar spine. What physiotherapy procedure can you use to get rid of back pain:
- electrophoresis. The goal of therapeutic manipulation is the rapid delivery of drugs (NSAIDs, analgesics, anesthetics, chondroprotectors) to the damaged areas of the lumbar spine. During electrophoresis, cotton swabs soaked in the medical solution are placed on the patient's back. At the top are special plates through which current is conducted. Under the influence of electrical impulses, chemical molecules rapidly penetrate the area of inflammation;
- ultrasound therapy. The oscillation of ultrasound waves stimulates blood circulation in the lower back. Nutrients and biologically active substances, as well as molecular oxygen, begin to penetrate damaged tissues. After 5-10 procedures, the patient's pain disappears as a result of muscle cramp relief and increased metabolism;
- laser therapy. Laser polarized light is used to treat destructive changes in lumbar intervertebral discs. Infrared radiation restores the blood supply to the joint and cartilage tissues, and normalizes metabolism.Physiotherapy helps to remove toxins, toxins, end products of the inflammatory process from the spine;
- magnetic therapy. The procedure uses a wave magnetic field on the patient to stimulate blood circulation to the damaged tissues.
Medical manipulation is prescribed to alleviate further damage to the lumbar vertebrae and prevent the spread of inflammation to healthy tissues. The result is the disappearance of painful feelings and the restoration of the full range of motion.
Physiotherapy procedures are combined with the administration of pharmacological drugs to treat severe pain radiating to the legs, arms and tailbone. And during the rehabilitation period or during the remission of chronic pathologies of the spine, patients are offered mud therapy, mineral water baths, classical and precise massage, acupuncture.
Traditional healing recipes
Traditional healers recommend consuming plenty of fluids to treat low back pain. Clean water, chamomile and rosehip tea, compotes made from berries and fruits help to quickly remove the end products of inflammation, toxins and toxins from the spine. In folk medicine, infusions and decoctions of herbs are used as abundant beverages. Useful plants contain biologically active substances that have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antiseptic properties.
How to cure back pain with infusions:
- Pour 3 tablespoons into a thermos. tablespoons cranberry leaves, St. John's wort and calendula, pour a liter of boiling water and leave for about an hour. Strain, drink a fragrant infusion instead of coffee and tea;
- in an enamel or glass container put a handful of dry rosehips, blueberries and juniper berries, pour 2 liters of hot water. Simmer in a water bath for 30-40 minutes, filter and drink 0, 5 cups of infusion before each meal.
Back pain can be treated with a compress or ointment made from natural products. How to make a potion:
- Read 3 tablespoons in a water bath. tablespoons natural honey, cool and mix with 2 tablespoons. spoon of pharmacy alcohol.
- Carefully add 100 ml of Vaseline to the mixture and rub into the damaged areas of the lower back.
This treatment is also used for medical compresses against back pain. To do this, the mixture should not be rubbed, but distributed in a thin layer on the skin. It should be wrapped in plastic wrap on top and then wrapped in a warm scarf. The duration of the procedure is 3-4 hours.
Treatment for low back pain is usually done at home. Only if an acute inflammatory process is diagnosed will the patient be hospitalized. Depending on the cause of the pathology, the therapy lasts from two weeks to several months. But if medical recommendations are followed, healing will be significantly accelerated, as evidenced by a review of patients treated.
- “One morning I just couldn’t get out of bed and even thought I was paralyzed. But the pain refuted such an assumption, it was so strong that it gave to the legs. He was treated in the hospital with injections of NSAIDs and muscle relaxants and then drank them at home for about a week. The pain had disappeared by the second day, but the doctor ordered her to be treated until a victorious recovery. "
- “My pain gradually got worse as I suspected after swimming in a cold river. The lower back just didn’t bend, I had to go for sick pay. I followed all the advice of the doctor, drank non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants, applied anti-inflammatory ointment, glued mustard plaster to my back. He was healed in five days. "
- “The doctor warned me that the pain wasn’t the worst. During the diagnosis, it turned out that my vertebrae collapsed quickly. I bought chondroprotectors for about a year and rubbed them on my back. Because of pain, I drank NSAIDs with a proton pump inhibitor. After a new examination, the neuropathologist was glad that no new injuries were found. "